Best A’ Level and O’ Level Chemistry Tuition Centre in Singapore
Making Sense is an award-winning tuition centre in Singapore that specialises in Chemistry tuition for A’ Level and O’ Level students. In addition to group tuition, we also offer personal consultations to students to ensure effective personalised learning. Our classes deliver in-depth knowledge and a thorough understanding of Chemistry concepts to students. We use teaching methodologies specific to Chemistry that are effective in maximising learning. Lessons are enlivened with stories and anecdotes from everyday life to make the subject come alive for the students. It is our goal to provide the best Chemistry tuition in Singapore that delivers top results consistently
A skilled and experienced tutor can deliver a concept across in far more precision and clarity – that is what you expect from the tutors at Making Sense. We use teaching methodologies specific to Chemistry that are effective to maximise learning. Lessons are enlightening and mind-blowing.
5 specialist tutors for 1 single subject, with options for regular class, small group and 1-to-1 coaching. Countless tutors have applied to teach here, but very few are selected. Rest assure only the very best tutors are chosen to carry the brand of Making Sense.
We are well aware students will need one-to-one consultations. They are highly encouraged to arrange for consultations whenever necessary. Consultations are completely free of charge. We want our students to maximise their learning with us!
Founder of Making Sense
Specialise in A-level Chemistry
- Graduated from National University of Singapore (NUS) with a Bachelor of Science (2nd class Upper honours) majoring in Chemistry
- Awarded scholarship by NUS to pursue PhD. in Medicinal Chemistry
- One of the most sought-after super tutors across the nation, with exclusive media coverage ranging from newspaper to features in Channel NewsAsia.
- Founder and managing director of Making Sense. Grew Making Sense from an unknown to the largest Chemistry tuition in Singapore
- Coached over 500 students every year and over 4000 students to date
- Over 16 years of teaching experience
- Featured on Channel NewsAsia Program – A class above – showcase of the leading industries in Singapore
- Multiple newspaper feature by The Straits Times
- Academic – Placed on the NUS Science Faculty Dean’s List
With over 16 years of teaching experience and exclusive features in the media, Mr William Lin is perhaps one of the most sought-after Chemistry Tutors in Singapore. Well-liked for his patience, clarity and ability to simplify complicated concepts, over 700 students join Making Sense every year to be coached by this award-winning Super Tutor. Mr William founded Making Sense with an aspiration to change the notion that chemistry is a mundane subject that few will excel in. He wanted students to realise that learning Chemistry need not be a struggle, and that Chemistry does have many fascinating possibilities to offer. A firm believer that learning should be fun, Mr William enlivens his lessons with stories, jokes and everyday anecdotes. He’s seen over 97% of his students show improvement in their grades, with many going on to score excellent grades in their A-level examinations. Under his tutelage, many who had believed Chemistry to be their most feared subject saw Chemistry becoming their favourite one instead. Mr William’s students not only regard him as a tutor, but as a mentor and a source of inspiration.
Mr William achieved academic excellence during his undergraduate days and was placed on the NUS Faculty of Science Dean’s List. Upon graduation, he took up a scholarship offered by NUS to pursue a PhD. in medicinal chemistry. During his scholarship, William assisted NUS as a teaching assistant and his excellence in teaching has been recognised with a “Teaching Assistance Award”. This prestigious award is presented only to the top 1% of teaching assistants out of more than 1000 candidates.
While pursuing his PhD, Mr William embarked on his exciting journey as an educator with the creation of Making Sense. Word spread quickly about his excellent teaching and within a short span of 2 years, Making Sense rapidly grew to hundreds of students. As commitments with students grew, it became increasingly difficult to manage both research studies and teaching. Having gained immense value and fulfillment in his work as an educator, Mr William decided to forgo his scholarship and devote his life to full-time teaching. While many commented that it was a waste not to complete his studies, to William, it was simply a matter of following his passion, doing what he is really good at, and choosing a path where he can genuinely make a difference in the lives of others.
Now, Mr William personally tutors more than 500 students every year. Year after year, he has never failed to inspire his students to excel in Chemistry. His students have been consistently producing exceptional results of approximately 90% As and Bs for their A’ Level. William’s extraordinary success has led to him to be featured in various media platforms, including The Straits Times and Channel NewsAsia.
Specialise in A-Level Chemistry
- Straight As for GCE A Level (Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics) with Distinction in Chemistry S-Paper (equivalent to current H3 Chemistry)
- Graduated from National University of Singapore (NUS) with a Bachelor of Science (first class honours) majoring in Chemistry
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education (Specialisation in teaching at Junior College Level) with Credit from National Institute of Education
- Review and creation of materials for the revised H2 Chemistry Syllabus while teaching in junior college
- GCE A Level practical examination supervisor in 2017
- Experience in teaching the new H1 and H2 Chemistry syllabus
- Placed on the NUS Science Faculty Dean’s List for multiple times
While teaching at Serangoon Junior College, nominated by students to receive the “Most Caring Teacher Award”
Kelvin graduated from National University of Singapore (NUS) with a Bachelor of Science (first class honours) majoring in Chemistry and was placed on the NUS Science Faculty Dean’s List for multiple times. To fulfill his aspiration to be a competent teacher, he joined the Ministry of Education as an Education Officer and obtained his Postgraduate Diploma in Education (Specialisation in teaching at Junior College Level) with Credit from National Institute of Education. Thereafter, Kelvin went on to teach at Serangoon Junior College and Anderson Junior College. While at Serangoon Junior College, he was intimately involved in the review and creation of materials for the revised H2 Chemistry Syllabus and he was one of the Chemistry teachers appointed as the GCE A level practical examination supervisor in Serangoon Junior College. During his time at Anderson Junior College, he assisted in the development of materials for the revised H1 Chemistry Syllabus.
Kelvin’s philosophy in the teaching of chemistry has always been for students to “Understand More and Memorise Less”. He strongly believed that students, regardless of abilities, need to understand concepts and theories, rather than just memorising contents without understanding. Kelvin’s teaching in class is always aligned to this philosophy and his students always benefited from his detailed explanation of concepts and theories. With a good foundation in concepts, students will be better equipped to answer basic and higher order thinking questions. Kelvin does not just ensure excellence in chemistry, he also cares for his students outside of lessons. He provides consultations to students who may require that extra bit of help and developed study plans with students to prepare for their A level examinations. During his time at Serangoon Junior College, he was nominated by students to receive the “Most Caring Teacher Award”.
Specialise in A-Level Chemistry
- Graduated from National University of Singapore (NUS) with a Bachelor of Science majoring in Chemistry
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education with Credit from National Institute of Education (NIE)
- Vast experience as a H1 Chemistry coordinator and a H2 Chemistry coordinator in her 12 years of teaching in junior college
- Served as Subject Supervisor for the GCE A-level Practical Examination in 2017 and 2019
- Nominee for President’s Award for Teachers in 2017
- Received numerous Outstanding Contribution (Team) Awards during her stint in junior college, including a team award for Character Development
Ms Kelly is a dedicated teacher with more than 12 years of experience teaching A-level Chemistry. During her stint in the two junior colleges that she has been to, she has proven herself to be an effective teacher who is strong in both content mastery and pedagogical approaches. Endowed with the ability to scaffold students’ learning, she breaks down difficult concepts into bite-sized portions that can be easily understood by students. In addition, she is competent in providing differentiated instructions to cater to the diverse learning needs of students which was evident from the consistent good results that her classes produced over the years.
Possessing a strong belief that every student can do well, Ms Kelly has always strived to inspire students to develop a strong desire to learn, encouraging them to take ownership of their learning and to put in their best efforts to achieve their goals in life. She is also a firm believer of leveraging on “Teachable Moments” inside and outside the classroom to build strong character and inculcate good values in her students.
Friendly, approachable and encouraging, Ms Kelly’s positive dispositions have endeared her to the students. Her uncanny ability to build strong rapport with students was evident in the many positive student feedback. In an era where change is the only constant, she endeavours to help students develop important skills and competencies, such as being resilient and having the drive to seek continuous improvement, to prepare them for an ever-changing world.
Specialise in O’Level & IP Chemistry (Bugis & Beauty World)
- A for GCE A Levels Chemistry
- Graduated from National University of Singapore (NUS) with a Masters of Science majoring in Chemistry.
- 13 years’ experience in tutoring O–Levels Chemistry
- 7 years’ experience in tutoring IB HL and SL Chemistry
- Received Teaching Excellence Award from NUS voted by students
Mr Alex graduated from National University of Singapore (NUS) with a Master of Science(MSc.) degree in Chemistry. He has been tutoring Chemistry for more than 11 years and has experience with tutoring IB Chemistry for the past 7 years. His goal in tutoring is to make Chemistry a fun and interesting subject to his students, while at the same time providing his students an easy and systematic way to learn Chemistry. His efforts and effectiveness in teaching resulted in him being awarded a “Teaching Assistant Award” while serving as a teaching assistant during his MSc. studies in NUS.
While tutoring, he aligns to his goals of developing not just knowledgeable, but also caring and compassionate students. He will usually provide students with interesting real-life examples linked to topics in Chemistry, such as the relevance of the subject in medical science, and how it can make lives better. Mr Alex is a firm believer that ‘practice makes perfect’ and will provide a lot of different questions and examples to ensure his students are able to develop a flexible and systematic thought process, allowing them to easily apply what they have learnt. To that end, his students will usually graduate with excellent grades in their Chemistry.
Y. L. Kang
Specialise in O’Level & IP Chemistry (Bishan)
- Graduated from National University of Singapore (NUS) with a Bachelor in Pure and Industrial Chemistry.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education from National Institute of Education (NIE)
- 34 years’ experience in tutoring O-level Chemistry
- Exclusively taught O-level Chemistry classes, raising passing rate from less than 50% to over 90% in certain years
- Received Outstanding Teacher Award from Chinese Development Assistance Council (CDAC)
Mrs Kang is a fun tutor with more than 34 years’ experience in tutoring O-level Chemistry. She is able to explain complex concepts, and make it intuitive and applicable to students through simple ways. Her students adore her because of her caring, patient, humorous and motherly ways, and also her willingness to go the extra mile to help weaker students. Her student once commented that she ‘understood more from her first lesson with Mrs Kang than she had understood from her school in a year’. Mrs Kang gets glowing referral from her ex-students year after year and have taught families of siblings and cousins. Her sterling teaching results include helping a student improve from a E8 grade to B3 during the O-levels, after a mere 2 months of tutoring.
Mrs Kang makes the effort to consolidate her own notes for teaching and the notes are written in a way that helps student answer all common and challenging questions consistently. Her teaching notes and summaries are very highly sought after, with teachers approaching her with interests in purchasing them. Mrs Kang’s motto for teaching is ensuring students have a strong foundation and are able to score full marks for common questions , leaving a larger margin for the more challenging questions.